In 2014 The Pankhurst Trust and Manchester Women’s Aid merged to form one charity The Pankhurst Trust with the joint purpose of fighting for gender equality, ending violence against women and girls and celebrating the birthplace of the Suffragette movement.
Role: Volunteer Counsellor
Reports to: SAHARA Team, Volunteer Coordinator, Clinical Supervisor
Opportunity description: Volunteer Counsellors are an essential part of our service providing counselling to Manchester women's Aid clients. Please note, this role is for qualified counsellors or counselling students undertaking a placement only.
- Providing telephone counselling (until safe to return to face to face) with clients referred through the Manchester Women's Aid services
- Keeping confidential record
- Building a relationship of trust and respect with client
- Supporting with any monitoring requirements and reporting any concerns to Manchester Women's Aid staff
- Supporting the client to complete evaluation after accessing the service
Hours: Minimum of one client per week. Please note, you must be available during working hours to complete counselling sessions (9am-5pm Monday to Friday).
Benefits and perks:
- An opportunity to build experience with domestic abuse clients
- Volunteer socials and opportunities to meet likeminded people
- Regular check-ins (approx. every 6 weeks) with the Volunteer Coordinator
- Opportunities to undergo training
Qualities / Skills:
- You must have a clinical supervisor and your own practice insurance
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- A friendly, approachable, enthusiastic and sensitive manner
- Must adhere to safeguarding best practice
- Willing to undergo a DBS check
- Desirable to have knowledge of domestic violence and abuse good practice
Location: Currently remote
- Pankhurst Trust General Induction
- Safeguarding and Domestic Violence Awareness training - available quarterly
- You will discuss any additional support needs you may have at induction
How to Apply:
Download and complete the Volunteer Application Form and Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form.
Send your documents to email@example.com
The Volunteer Coordinator will respond as soon as possible and you will be invited to interview or placed on a waiting list for the next recruitment round.
Please note, this role has been assessed and confirmed as open to women only under the Equality Act 2010, schedule 9 , part 1.