In 2014 The Pankhurst Trust and Manchester Women’s Aid merged to form one charity The Pankhurst Trust with the joint purpose of fighting for gender equality, ending violence against women and girls and celebrating the birthplace of the Suffragette movement. The Pankhurst Centre museum is open to the public every Thursday and Sunday.
Reports to: Volunteer Coordinator / Museum Curator
Opportunity Description: Our heritage volunteers are the lifeblood of the Museum and without them we would be unable to share the story of this iconic building with visitors. Heritage volunteers are responsible for helping to run the Museum, guide visitors and create moments for interaction. In addition they form a valuable part of the Heritage and will be involved in planning and strategizing for the future, testing new opportunities, attending training sessions and conducting research.
- Open and close the museum with support from the Heritage Team.
- Be the main point of contact for visitors and facilitate a positive experience.
- Operate the three volunteer stations in the Museum as part of a team and rotate through these stations. The stations are 1) ticking and welcome 2) the museum galleries 3) shop and exhibition space.
- Be an active member of the volunteer team and assist in training and supporting other team members where necessary.
- Operate the shop including taking card payments.
- Assisting the Heritage Team in maintaining the Museum space to a high standard.
- Following hygiene and cleaning protocols in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Communicate freely with the Heritage Team and share insights gathered from the front of house to the Team so improvements can be made.
Hours: No set working pattern but must be available on at least one Thursday or Sunday per month (exceptions may apply). When on the rota, volunteers must be available on site between the hours of 10am and 4pm. Alternatively we also need volunteers to facilitate school visits on Fridays (10am-4pm).
Benefits and perks:
- Free entry to all museums in the Hidden8 network.
- 10% off in the gift shop.
- Sector specific skills training.
- Career support for those looking to pursue opportunities in the sector.
- Daily allowance for travel and sustenance.
Qualities / Skills:
- Friendly and approachable.
- Good communicator or willing to develop communication skills.
- Passion for heritage and willingness to learn the history of the Centre.
- Ability to work in a team and take responsibility for key roles.
- Pankhurst Trust general induction.
- Heritage volunteer induction and training.
- You will discuss any support needs you may have at induction.
We particularly welcome applications from disabled, BAME and LGBTQIA+ candidates as our service aims to reflect the diversity of the city which we serve. If you have any additional support needs, these can be discussed with the Volunteer Coordinator.
How to Apply:
Apply here: https://pankhurstvolunteers.teamkinetic.co.uk/vk/volunteers/registration.htm
If you have any questions or are unable to apply online email firstname.lastname@example.org
PANKHURST TRUST VALUES
Generous: sharing our skills, creating energetic positive links, and thriving together
Affirming: supporting and inspiring, paying attention to discover what matters
Courageous: challenging inequality, stepping forward and making change
Rooted: secure and participating in our communities, nurturing a sense of belonging