In 2014 The Pankhurst Trust and Manchester Women’s Aid merged to form one charity The Pankhurst Trust with the joint purpose of fighting for gender equality, ending violence against women and girls and celebrating the birthplace of the Suffragette movement. The Pankhurst Centre museum is open to the public every Thursday and on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month.
Reports to: Volunteers Coordinator / Heritage Curator Manager / Lead Heritage Volunteer / Sunday Key Holder
Thursday 9.30am-4.30pm (9:30am -1pm / 12:30pm-4:30pm) 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month 12.30pm-4.30pm
Tours on occasional Tuesdays,
Ad hoc Events, Hires, Workshops, Admin support
Please note Sunday Volunteers must commit to at least 1 Sunday a month.
Aims of the Role:
Our Heritage volunteers are the public face of the museum, they play a vital role in projecting a positive image to visitors and act as a point of contact for visitors to provide information and answer any questions.
They also manage the Suffragette Shop and Museum Tea Room Knowledge of the Suffragette movement is not required.
- Offer a friendly and informative welcome to visitors;
- Help visitors get the most out of the Museum by answering questions and sharing knowledge;
- Sell and restock items in Gift Shop
- Obtain visitor comments via surveys and informal feedback
Qualities / Skills:
- Knowledge of and interest in women’s suffrage and/or Suffragette history and culture is not required, we will support you in learning about the building and its history.
- Good communication skills.
- Committed to ensuring a high quality experience for our diverse visitors.
- Be able and willing to work unsupervised;
- Be willing to answer questions that visitors may ask
- We provide training in good customer service practice and museum routines.
- Support by the Lead Volunteer, Volunteers Coordinator, Events Coordinator and Heritage Curator Manager
How to Apply:
Please complete the application form below and e-mail it to email@example.com.
We will then contact you within 10 working days to discuss available roles and discuss your availability and book a taster session in the museum.
You can also book a taster here:
- Click the link and then come in to shadow the volunteers to get a feel for the role:
- Please note on a Sunday you will not always be able to meet with the Volunteers Coordinator but she will contact you and discuss your application and taster in the following week.
- If you come in for you taster without an application form - you must fill one in when you are here.
Please click to book a January taster session : https://doodle.com/poll/6k5ym4xdpuknsp5u
Download the application form here.